Mark Denton was born in Manchester and lives and works in London. He started taking photographs at the age of 12 when he discovered that it was possible to skip Maths lessons by hiding out in the school darkroom. After graduating with a degree in Politics at the University of Sheffield in 1991, Mark worked for a time at the Untitled photographic gallery in Sheffield before starting a career in the music industry.
Mark's current interest centres on portraiture and the construction of emotion in the photographic image. His latest photographic project is concerned with investigating representations of the face and the construction of facial meaning and expression in the photographic image.
Mark was awarded an MA (distinction) in Photography from the University of West London in September 2010. He is a member of the London Independent Photography collective.
His work has been included in a number of exhibitions and publications including:
- Sep-Oct 2011 - Curator: 'Instantia', PM Gallery & House, Ealing, London
- May-July 2011 - Domestic Fables, 'UnRevealed' @ Cafe Grove gallery, Ealing, London
- March 2011 - Domestic Fables, 'Non|Fiction' @ Viewfinder gallery, London
- October 2010 - LIP 22nd Annual exhibition @ Proud Gallery, London
- October 2010 - MA (distinction) in Photography, UWL
- October 2010 - Shoreditch 2nd annual groupshow (LIP) & Parallels project @ Red Lion, Hoxton
- September 2010 - UWL MA graduation show 'Close To You' incl. signature image
- June 2010 - Where I End & You Begin - UWL 2010 MA Summer Showcase
- October 2009 - Group show: 'A Place Like Home' with Carolyn Lefley, Ewa Bialek. The Foundry, London (Photomonth 2009 Festival)
- August-September 2009 - The Space Between Us - Paint It White Group Show, Red Lion Hoxton
- June 2009 - The Space between Us - UWL 2009 MA Summer Showcase
- June 2009 - Awarded Media prize for Academic project at UWL Summer Showcase
- June 2009 - Beach Portraits - Self-funded 1 month residency in Bournemouth, UK
- Nov 2008 - The Space Between Us - LIP Magazine Winter 2008
- November-December 2008 - 'Missionaries' - LIP online Showcase
- November 2008 - Missionaries - LIP 20th Anniversary Exhibition catalogue
- October 2008 - Missionaries - LIP 20th Anniversary Group Show, Cottons Atrium, London
site built with Indexhibit